Monday, September 17, 2012

pre-training materials



If you are looking for in-depth information on training for a 5k, 10k, half-marathon, marathon, ultramarathon, triathlon, or any other type of -thon, then you've probably come here by mistake. But it's ok. You still might find something useful.

If you were hoping for a fresh, quirky, and often humorous look at the Bible and how it relates to life, then it's possible that you might find it. I'll do my best anyway.

I've been studying the Bible a lot recently, more in-depth than I ever have, and inspired by my friend Bree, who writes College Vespers, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts as I do these studies. I kept search websites and apps looking for something that would help me study, but I couldn't find anything (at least nothing that was free) that really fit what I was looking for. And what was I really looking for? So I decided to just study as the Spirit moved me, hoping and praying (yes, actually praying), that I would recognize the Spirit moving...me. And because you're curious, or, because it might be useful to someone out there, I will share exactly how I do these studies.


1. Collect my Bible, pen, highlighter, a notebook, a well-lit area, and a clean space. Turn off distractions and allow for enough time (at least 30 minutes).
2. Pray for the Holy Spirit to open up the scriptures to me and help me understand, as well as apply the text to my life.
3. Turn to the passage that I am studying.
4. Read once through a chapter or section without stopping.
5. Read again, this time trying to make sense of what was said.
6. Read again more slowly, reading the footnotes that give background and sometimes explanation (I have a HCSB Bible, which is a really nifty study Bible with lots of footnotes, maps, and definitions of Hebrew words).
7. Read all the way through one last time, with a better combined understanding of what I think it means, what the Spirit is telling me, and what the footnotes say (and the 3 aren't mutually exclusive).
8. Refer to any passages that are related if led to do so.
9. Underline or highlight anything that stood out or that I want to remember.
10. Think about how this scripture applies to My life (and not anyone else's in particular, unless it's really pressing on me).
10. Write down the passage and thoughts in my notebook or journal.
11. Pray again, in thanks for the scriptures and asking God to help me use what I have learned. Sometimes this turns into daily prayer time too, but not always. Note that because of an erratic work schedule, I don't always study the same time each day--but it is usually afternoon or early evening, so that I'm alert enough to see it through.

This has definitely been the best method of Bible study for me, because I keep doing it and don't feel overwhelmed or underwhelmed by it. You may of course adopt it as your own if you'd like. Or maybe you have your own method--which you may share for us all to read so we can have more ideas.

I hear a lot of people say, "I don't read the Bible as much as I should." And I think that statement is part of the problem. It's looking at Bible study as a chore, something we should do every day but really don't want to. I've found that the closer I get to God, the more I want to read the Bible to get to know Him better, and the more I read the Bible, the closer I get to God. But that's just me. I find joy in the study, and the idea of writing these thoughts down and sharing them with people just makes it even better. This is not a soapbox though. I'm not going to prescribe to you how often or how much you should read. I have a kind of short attention span, so a chapter or two a day is really all I can handle. That's also why I read the chapter so many times. I want it to really sink in and mean something in life. I hope that by sharing the fruit of my study, you may be encouraged to study for yourself and produce fruit of your own.

Which brings us to the title of the blog -- Training for the Big Race. I actually have started training for a race - a 5k, running along with the Couch 2 5k podcast. I look at studying the Bible partially as training for life. And then there's that play of words with "by grace."  Not very deep, but kind of nifty.

Without further rhetoric, let the training begin...and go!


No comments:

Post a Comment