Saturday, September 22, 2012

Remember Me?



Ever see someone in the grocery store, or your workplace, or at the mall that you used to go to school with or you used to be somewhat acquainted with, but so much time has passed you're not sure if they're going to remember you?

This actually happens at my workplace quite a bit. I work at a place that sells frozen yogurt and see a lot of people that I used to go to high school with, or used to work with but was in a different department. Now, despite my fabulous outgoing online persona, I am not usually that way in "the real world." In high school, I was extremely shy and quiet, but I knew who pretty much everybody was. My sister was the more popular one, and people sometimes just referred to me not by name, but as her sister. So now when I see any of them, I will say hi to them if we had some significant amount of interaction, but otherwise, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't remember me, so I just don't bring it up. When you ask someone you haven't seen in years if they remember you, it's a humbling experience. If they don't, it can be embarrassing.

The reason I bring this up is that we will be examining this word "remember" as it is used in the Bible, starting with my not-so-favorite book right now, Lamentations.

Yahweh, remember what has happened to us. Look, and see our disgrace!

Lamentations 5:1


The footnote in the HCSB says, "To remember in Scripture is never just calling something to mind. It involves a corresponding action" (p. 1347). It refers to a couple scriptures from Psalms, where the author calls on God to protect the people from their enemies.

The scripture that immediately came to my mind, however, is from the New Testament.

Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.

Luke 23:42


These are the words from the man who was crucified next to Jesus. Without knowing this context that "remember" is a request for action, you would just think he was asking Jesus to light a candle for him up in Heaven and think of him fondly, when he thinks of His good times on earth.... Actually, he was asking Jesus to take him to the kingdom of Heaven.

So back to Lamentations. This request to remember can be seen as asking God to have mercy on Israel. Not just to look at the desolation, but have compassion.

What ties all this together is that both of these requests to "remembrance" were for things they knew they didn't deserve. It indicated a certain audacity.

 Look what we did and how desolate we are because we're paying for our sins. Remember us!

I'm dying on a cross because I have committed a serious crime! Remember me!

But it also shows some humility. Begging for mercy. In either case, a faith in the goodness and the power of God.

The NASB has a clearer translation of this verse in Lamentations.

Remember, O Lord, what has befallen us; Look, and see our reproach!

Lamentations 5:1


Jesus also asked us to remember--when we drink the bread and wine that represent His body and blood given for us. He asks us to remember--but He gives the grace.

What do you want God to remember? What requests for mercy and grace and God's goodness are on your heart today?





No comments:

Post a Comment